Letters — Truth Is Relative

“And you shall know the the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” Where did this statement come from? It came from the number one selling book in the history of the world – The Bible. (Please see John 8:32)

Why do I mention this? It is my response to reading “Truth Matters,” published within the Letters to the Editor section of the December 2013 Big Island Chronicle. I was in agreement with Dr. Daggett…that our government, as well as mainstream news, manipulates and lies to us supposedly for our own good. I have no idea exactly what Dr. Daggett was referring to in regards to not being told the truth regarding 9/11, as well as other war incidents he mentioned. But, I have to say my interest was piqued…until I got to the part where he stated that we had been lied to again and again, stating, as if a fact that “The United States was founded specifically to be a Christian nation…” That this is a huge lie! Really? I do not hold a PHD. I don’t even have a college AA or BA. But, I do know a thing or two about how our nation was founded, why, and confirmation of this truth. Our great nation WAS, in fact, founded specifically as a Christian nation.

When my daughter was about to graduate from the eighth grade, I went with her class to Washington DC. Up to that point, I had never really been interested in the history of our nation. I think I went just for the opportunity to travel to the other side of our country with my girlfriend, Debi. Her daughter was also on the trip. But, what I discovered as I walked Arlington National Cemetery, gazed at the enormous Lincoln Memorial, viewed over a dozen monuments honoring our fallen veterans, and wrote the Bible verses carved into every government building on Capitol Hill, was that we truly are One Nation Under God! God is everywhere throughout our Capitol! Dr. Daggett, have you ever been to Capitol Hill?

The second confirmation that our country was, in fact, founded as a Christian nation, is easily confirmed by simply reading our currency – In God We Trust. There it is, clear as a bell! Go ahead and Google this to read the interesting story of how this simple yet profound statement came to be printed on every penny, nickle, dime, quarter, fifty-cent and dollar coin, as well as all paper currency we use. It is most interesting…unless of course, all of this confirmed information is a lie. I think not.

Our patriotic songs and The Pledge of Allegiance indicates the deity of God, and His part in creating our nation. One Nation Under God. Once we removed the Pledge of Allegiance in our schools, as well as school prayer, all hell broke loose, with unspeakable violence focused on innocent children as well as their teachers and administrators. We took God out, so He was no longer there as our invisible protector.

I find it most interesting Dr. Daggett’s letter, and more specifically, his erroneous statement, was published the exact month of the world-wide celebration of the birth of Christ! The “Christ” in Christmas! For without Christ, there simply is NO Christmas! He came to this earth, not this nation specifically, as a babe born to a virgin, lived 33 years, was crucified, buried, rose three days later, and was seen by over 500 people. He then ascended back to the Father in heaven, witnessed by many. And why did He come? To demonstrate God’s great love for sinful mankind, to forgive us of our sins, and to make a way for us to spend eternity with Him in heaven. The greatest gift mankind had ever, will ever receive!

On a very local note, a quick Google search indicates the following:  “It is said that the words that later became the motto of the State of Hawaii were first spoken by Queen Ke’opuolani in 1825 as she was baptized into the Christian faith. However, the Hawaii motto as such, Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono, (The Life of the Land is Perpetuated in Righteousness,) is generally attributed to King Kamehameha III who presided over the Kingdom of Hawaii from 1825 until his death in 1854. On May 1, 1959, Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono was adopted as the official motto of the State of Hawaii by Joint Resolution No. 4 of the 30th Territorial Legislature.”

There is a movie coming out on April 16th entitled, Heaven Is For Real. It stars Academy Award® nominee and Emmy® award winning actor Greg Kinnear, and brings to the screen the true story of a small-town father who must find the courage and conviction to share his son’s extraordinary, life-changing experience with the world. Todd and Sonja Burpo are a real-life couple whose four-year old son, Colton claims to have visited Heaven during a near death experience. Colton recounts the details of his amazing journey with childlike innocence and speaks matter-of-factly about things that happened before his birth: things he couldn’t possibly know. Todd and his family are then challenged to examine the meaning from this remarkable event. I read the book a few years back, and it stood as confirmation that God is still in the business of revealing Himself to His creation. Many will receive the truth, and many will sadly shrug it off. But, who can possibly argue with a four-year old boy? Maybe that is why Jesus loves the little children so very much. They have the child-like faith that we, as adults, often loose along the way.

So, with all the untruths and lies that swirl around, I still believe wholeheartedly that the strongest, most loving country in the world was, in fact, founded as a Christian nation. Do I believe that we are still a Christian nation? Yes, I do! No matter what lies swirl around us..

In God I Trust,

Jen McGeehan

1. L
    L says:

And where does that leave those of us who are American and not Christian? Ever hear of separation of church and state?

2. Hugh Clark
    Hugh Clark says:

We never were a “Christian nation.” Our founding daddies eschewed traditional/formal religion.Read the history and study the debates that created the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Most leaders at the time of the USA starting up were Deists. Try to earn that term and what it means.

You may wish that our nation was Christian but to say it is clearly is mythical and delusional.

Contemporarily look at Hawaii’s congressional delegation – – a Jew, a Buddhist and a Hindu. Doesn’t sound very “Christian” either.

Aloha America,

To some degree, I am in agreement with Jen McGeehan.

America was founded on a Christian faith. Our founding Fathers were of the Christian faith. But our founding Fathers also welcomed all other faiths too. America allows all faiths to practice and maintain their beliefs but not to change ours in the process.

The Christian faith should have been left alone in our schools. It’s the state government that should have been removed. If one faith didn’t want their children to be influenced by the Christian faith while in school, then that faith should have create their own schools. To remove Christianity from the schools, is to tear at the very fabric that America was founded on.

It was certainly a very sad day when that occurred. And as Jen McGeehan put it, “All Hell broke lose”. God was indeed saddened.

And so am I.

4. Mathew mercury
    Mathew mercury says:

Im sorry… I’m completely blown away by this. Please people, take a few minutes and give yourself a history lesson. The US was founded with the unofficial motto E pluribus unum: “Out of many, one”.

“In God we trust” wasn’t the official motto until 1956. “Under God” wasn’t added to the Pledge of Allegiance until 1954.

Also, citing a Hollywood movie as proof of God seems kind of silly.

5. Kit
    Kit says:

As has been clarified above, our country was founded as a land of “religious freedom.” That is NOT referring only to the Christian faith, though many argue this fact.

6. Alan McNarie
    Alan McNarie says:

I have some Hawaiian friends who say that ‘righteousness’ is a very narrow and inaccurate translation for ‘pono.’ The concept of ‘pono’ predates Christianity in Hawaii, and was betrayed by much of what the missionaries and their children did to these islands.

7. greg
    greg says:

Christianity hasn’t been banned from our schools. Anyone can pray, and some probably do before exams. No problem. MANDATED Christianity is what isn’t allowed. A teacher can no more lead a class in christian prayer than in Islamic, Hebrew, or prayer of my religion; Pastafarianism. (Pass the meatballs, please)

8. NeighborWatch
    NeighborWatch says:

lol ‘christian nation’ what a bunch of egotistical christiancentric crock o’shite.

“In God I Trust,
    Jen McGeehan”

Did you get that part from Mathew Mercury? NOT!

Yet the christians continued to do their evil on the mainland continent as well burning women as, what? witches? Missionaries subjugate the heathens right?
    Problem with religions is that they believe in superstitions. And no two ghosts sound alike.

IF, ‘hey-soos’ ever comes back? he wiping out the christians first, murdering in his name? or his father’s? name? yea, forgetaboutit, said NOT KILL, didn’t say except for you guys and those guys.

Wanna talk about the pope and all the jewel encrusted skeletons buried under the Vatican? All the property the church owns while million die in the streets? POWER is all religion is about, control the masses with fear.

Like in Bethlehem?? Christians and the Jews are loving the Muslims right now. And how about our smart bombs that are killing babies as they sleep in Afghanistan, How it this doing “God’s work”?

IN GOD WE TRUST is on your FED note, not a TREASURY NOTE. Back to School, put the bible down it was edited by a murderous king for pete sake. Yep, like lambs of GOD, Gold, Oil, and Drugs, they follow blindly because they.. believe.

9. Billy
    Billy says:

Christian? Which one of 30,000 permutations are we talking about. Is this a Baptist (name your variety), Catholic, etc etc etc…Religion is one of the scariest things on this planet and people will do any vile thing in the name of (including slaughter other christians who don’t toe the mark of whomever has the power)…which of course atheists cannot…deliver us o lordess from this curse!

10. Karl
    Karl says:

“Isn’t it interesting that our calendar year began specifically from the year He died? Hmmm.”

Good grief, among all the gross historical falsehoods, you can’t even get this right?! The current calendar begins from the year Jesus supposedly was *born*. And that is made up, in one way or another – according to the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus was born during the time of Herod the Great, who died in 4 BC, while according to Luke, he was born around the time of the census of Quirinius, which was 6-7 AD.

11. Karl
    Karl says:

Also, it’s worth noting that there actually were some among the Founding Fathers who *did* want to make the US an explicitly Christian country. Patrick Henry was the leader of these. But that group lost, probably not least because most of the rest were not orthodox Christians. While most believed in God in some form and many attended church, a lot were deists, Unitarians, or held other “nontraditional beliefs”.

Aloha to Everyone On Board,

It seems that I spoke before learning. I suppose that I was among the mislead and I sincerely apologize.

Ken, thank you for the first link, it was very educational. However I found the other two irrelevant and inane.

I stated in my earlier post that America was founded by Christian Fathers. I have since found no grounds for that statement. Therefore I stand corrected and offer all of you my sincere apology.

I still believe that some form of a belief, in “love for thy neighbor” should exist in our schools. Perhaps a religion isn’t the answer here,……so I’m open for suggestions. Children simply shouldn’t be dying while trying to get educated or at all, for that matter.

13. punated
    punated says:

Many fundamentalist christians point to recent archeology findings as “evidence” for the bible being the work of god. However, these religious zealots fail to acknowledge that most of these findings don’t agree with the bible.

Recent findings of more manuscripts show the Hebrew word that was translated as the “Red Sea” actually was written as the “Sea of Reeds”, a much more shallow area further north.

The city of Jericho has been found and the walls were indeed crumbled. However, further digs have shown the walls of Jericho crumbled many times, not due to trumpets, but due to being in a very earthquake prone area. The other problem is all evidence points to Jericho being long abandoned before Joshua was supposed to be around (using the chronology in the bible).

There has been a long search for evidence of the Exodus but nothing is being found. This is supposed to be a large group of people living in the desert for 40 years and there is no evidence of any encampments or settlements along the way.

The other big problem is there is no evidence of the Hebrews in Egypt at the time of Ramses II (Jews were Hebrews before they were Jews). More excavations around the pyramids show large encampments of workers, Egyptian workers, not slaves, and definitely not Hebrew. The pyramids are appearing to be more of public works projects which provided jobs for a growing population that was straining the food supply in the midst of climate change. Recent evidence is showing rapid climate change was what ended the pharaonic era.

There is no physical evidence for a man named Yeshua creating a rebellion in the Roman territory of Israel. There have been records found of the existence of Pontius Pilate and Herod, although with some conflicting time lines and no mention of a rebel named Yeshua. In addition, Roman crucifixes have been found and they are simple stakes. The Romans were very efficient and didn’t waste extra wood to create a cross. The hands were usually nailed to the stake above the head of the criminal, to make death more painful due to prolonged asphyxiation from the criminal trying to pull themselves up. The crucifix was not a cross.

The concepts of virgin birth, resurrection and holy trinities had been around for many centuries in the Mediterranean prior to the time Yeshua was supposed to have been born. In fact, anybody that has read about Mithras will be left with the impression that Yeshua was actually an archetype of Mithras and Amon Ra, the sun god. In addition, more is being found that proves there was extensive trade with India and China was going on at the time of Yeshua, and Buddha was around over 500 years before that. Many elements of Buddhism and Hinduism had made their way to the Mediterranean by then.

The real oddity is the Christian religion never found a foothold in the Middle East, where it was founded, and it was one man, Paul, that introduced the religion to Europe, where it was adopted by caucasian Europeans, and their descendants. Through this adoption, God has been made by caucasian European white people into a caucasian European white man, naturally.

The bible, for being the word of god through man, is completely riddled with factual errors and actually has impossible math in it (pi is 3). Even the bible we have today, sarcastically referred to as the St. James bible is an artificial collection of documents selected for royal control of common masses. It is engineered so the masses are manipulated solely for the perpetuation of the church.

14. Billy
    Billy says:

Handyman, “Children simply shouldn’t be dying while trying to get educated or at all, for that matter.”

Nor should they be dying because of religion as they are all over this planet.

Mathew Mercury. Why not put down nonsense especially when it causes so much dissension and murder round the planet, not to mention billions living with brainwashed induced PTSD from infancy. We don’t give people a free pass when they assert the Earth is flat or the center of the universe or any thing else that contradicts known science/fact. If we keep on pointing out the absurdity of this ‘divinely revealed truth” nonsense we just might evolve to the point we can survive our own stupidity.

15. Ken
    Ken says:

You stated in your second post and I quote:

Can you name ONE American school child who has died in an American school because of or because of a lack of religion in our schools?

About the only ones I can come up with are the kids allowed to die at the hands of parents who refuse medical intervention and thus die only due to their parents religious beliefs.

Now, if you are discussing other parts of this world, then yes, children are killed and denied education SOLEY because of religion. Especially girls.

As for the links I posted to Penn Jilette quotes, I have found him to be the most brutally honest spokesman to discuss the simple insanity of all things religion.

Yes, he may use colorful words and all, but his message is something people, especially people like you, should listen to.

You should consider reading his book “God, No!: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales.”

You may learn even more about the reality of the insanity of mankind caused by and at the feet of religion!

I have always found this particular “joke” about religion so truthful and so indicative of the reality of religions falsehoods and yet I always seem to laugh out loud at to just how truly real it is in todays world:

“The Heretic”

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off.

So I ran over and said, “Stop! Don’t do it!”

“Why shouldn’t I?” he said.

I said, “Well, there’s so much to live for!”

He said, “Like what?”

I said, “Well, are you religious or atheist?”

He said, “Religious.”

I said, “Me too! Are your Christian or Buddhist?”

He said, “Christian.”

I said, “Me too! Are you Catholic or Protestant?”

He said, “Protestant.”

I said, Me too! Are your Episcopalian or Baptist?

He said, “Baptist!”

I said, “Wow! Me too! Are your Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord?

He said, Baptist Church of God!”

I said, “Me too! Are your Original Baptist Church of God or are you Reformed Baptist Church of God?”

He said, “Reformed Baptist Church of God!”

I said, “Me too!

Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915?”

He said, “Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915!”

I said, “Die, heretic scum!” and pushed him off.

16. NeighborWatch
    NeighborWatch says:

Billy, hopes, “we just might evolve to the point we can survive our own stupidity.” HA, Ha Ha, hahaha, bwaaahh!
    Yea not likely, sure as shit doesn’t look like it’s going that way. eh?

Not as long as hundreds of millions are more concerned about an arena (Roman) game more than they are what they eat. Or if half the globe is even eating anything at all. Humans are a failed experiment.

WE, “God’s Children”, the chosen*, saviors of the world, are the reason the world is dying. AMERICAN consumerism is the religion of today.

A near global extinction event MIGHT, wake up who’s ever left, or they could be zombies. You better hope there’s a better place after this, but hope isn’t worth much.

I’m under a false belief that there has to be a more sane, loving, nonjudgmental, non-commercial, peaceful place somewhere in the universe.
    Sure isn’t this planet.

Aloha Ken,

You got a cynical sense of humor,….but I get your point.

Yes, Penn can be rather brutal at times but he’s also known for shooting from the hip, without research. Something like I just did on my earlier post. Ha!

But ok,…..I’ll make it a point to research the book you mentioned. After all, I’m a fan of humor.

18. Billy
    Billy says:

BTW Neighborhood watch I actually have zero hope for our survival because the level of change required ain’t gonna happen. But in the meantime we can yammer on about ‘sustainability’ with an economy based on consumerism, and here in Hawai’i tourism and the military mainly. Yes we ARE doomed.

Aloha Ken,

In regards to your question about children dying in schools because of or because of the lack of religion in schools?

After careful consideration, I find that I can’t accurately name a single incident. Whether religion was there or not, the tragedies would have still happened. The teachings of “Love Thy Neighbor” would not have prevented anything. Too many people simply don’t give a dang anymore.

So my earlier post was actually wishful thinking. Dang, I’m even more depressed now.

20. punated
    punated says:

More recent archaeology findings that provide more evidence the Bible isn’t the truth. The bible puts domesticated camels in the time of Abraham, around 2000BC or earlier. Recent digs provide compelling evidence that domestic camels didn’t enter the middle east until 900BC, over 1000 years later.

The other big problem with bible believers is that the geneology in the bible is from male to male. This geneology is crucial to faith. And yet, the male genology can be followed from Adam to Joseph. Here is the problem. If Yeshua was by virgin birth, that means Joseph was not the father, so the entire male geneology doesn’t apply to Yeshua. His only biblical heritage is through Mary his biological mother but the bible does not record female genology. That is what would be defined as a paradox.

21. NeighborWatch
    NeighborWatch says:

The history of Christianity is as bloody as any other major player, funny I’ve never heard of Buddhists going on any crusades ramming their beliefs down anyone’s throat. Killing all those heathen who don’t bow down to an illusion-airy god.
    And I’ve had nary a one Buddhist walk up to my gate and harass me on a Saturday morning like the JW’s and the Morons do. Can I get an amen?

Why is it when the the Trinity of Evil, Christians/Muslims/Jews raises it’s murderous little head, millions die? In the ‘name of god’. And it’s funny all three think THEY are the chosen people. lol

Why is it when six million jews are killed it’s a Holocaust, and when King Leopold slaughters 10 million you never read about that in history books, why?