Letters — How The Governor’s Office Handles Dissension

I received a phone call from Governor Abercrombie’s West Hawaii liaison
after my last letter to the editor was published in January.The meeting
with Ms. Barbara Dalton was a very uncomfortable experience. She asked
me why I wrote that letter, which criticized Governor Abercrombie’s
administration for not being transparent with the public regarding
highway projects. In addition, she told me not write anymore letters
criticizing the governor and go through her if I have any more concerns
in the future.

I wrote several e-mails to Governor Abercrombie’s Honolulu staff
regarding the meeting I had with Ms. Dalton. Someone from Governor’s
Honolulu office called me a few days later. He apparently told Ms.
Dalton that it was inappropriate to tell me not to write letters
criticizing the governor. This individual, who I didn’t get his name,
also promised to get an update on the stalled right of way acquisition
for the final east side Daniel K. Inouye Highway phase.

Its been over a month and I’m still waiting for this person to call me
back. I’ve sent several e-mails to various individuals in the governor’s
Honolulu office with no response. They don’t care about my concerns it
seems like, which is deeply frustrating. I will remember this when I
vote for governor in November.

Aaron Stene

1. JT
    JT says:

Aaron, it appears as one you’re not very big. How about we escalate this by inviting a whole bunch of Hilo and Puna folks to join us in emailing your Man in Honolulu. Can you respond with some email addresses we can push on to help your noble cause?
    You are a leader sir,

2. Errol
    Errol says:

Send them a certified mail return receipt or registered mail return receipt. They can never say they didn’t received it if they signed for it…

Aloha Mr. Aaron Stene,

Who are you?

As a community member of the Big Island, I don’t remember asking you to represent my interest as to the status of the Daniel K. Inouye Highway. So who are you, that you feel, the Governors office should report to on the status of anything?

If you think that you’re so influencial, that it upsets you when the Governor doesn’t drop everything and answer all your curiosities,….then why don’t you simply call Obama?

But please,…..stop your ranting in the media. I’m finding you as annoying as they probably do.

4. Hugh Clark
    Hugh Clark says:

Arrogance and ignorance always is a toxic mix. Neil had best do some house cleaning. Hawaii elections are scheduled earlier these days.

5. Ken
    Ken says:

There is one reason why we have inept political leaders.

The electorate – that is the people who elect them – are just plain ignorant – the ones that vote that is! The ones who don’t vote – are just stupid.

For an example of what I am guessing is one ignorant electorate – read Handyman’s comments!

I am giving the benefit of the doubt to Handyman that he votes!

6. tia
    tia says:

dd- right on, they’re both the same, made to look different to give the appearance of choice, and it actually worked as most sheeple still declare themselves a ‘democrat’ or ‘republican’. Ha Ha Ha. FYI, the country that’was’ was founded on the principle of Constitutional Republic. Can anyone recite the pledge of allegiance any more? Republic in this case does NOT stand for Republican=Democratic

7. tia
    tia says:

The Right to criticize Government officials!
    Published by jalbertini on February 20th, 2014 in Farm, GMO, Public Events, Social Justice, Take Action! | Edit | No Comments

Hawaii County Council brouhaha! –citizens free speech and civil rights testimony

Note to Erin Miller –West Hawaii Today/Hawaii Tribune-Herald (Stephens Media Hawaii) writer
    David Bock, Hawaii Tribune Herald editor and publisher (Stephens Media Hawaii)

Aloha Erin and David,
    Corrections to today’s Trib (2/20/14). In my oral testimony yesterday at the council, I only mentioned Dennis “Fresh” Onishi, not Yoshimoto and some state legislators as claimed in the article. My written testimony named others but I didn’t include others in my oral testimony. Furthermore I had a phone call today from Council Vice chair, Karen Eoff, apologizing for improperly cutting me off yesterday testifying at the county council. She said I was right about free speech and civil rights to criticize council people in testimony. She said she felt bad in cutting me off. She is asking Corp council – Lincoln Ashida, to draft a memo to all the council members on this. Eoff said It was Ashida who advised her at the break that citizens have a right to criticize and the council should be careful of free speech and civil rights violations.
    I told Councilwoman Eoff I have no hard feelings and I’m glad it will be clarified but it’s a sad fact that a citizen’s right to criticize council members has to be clarified. We are suppose to be living in a democracy. I have never heard a council member object when they are named and praised in council testimony, so why should they object when they are named and criticized? The main thing is we try to be civil to one another. We all live on this island together. –

Jim Albertini Malu ‘Aina Center For Non-violent Education & Action P.O. Box 489 Ola’a (Kurtistown) Hawai’i 96760 Phone 808-966-7622 Email ja@malu-aina.org http://www.malu-aina.org This communication may be unlawfully collected and stored by the National Security Agency (NSA) in secret. The parties to this email do not consent to the retrieving or storing of this communication and any related metadata, as well as printing, copying, re-transmitting, disseminating, or otherwise using it. If you believe you have received this communication in error, please delete it immediately.

My oral Testimony in support of Resolution 272 on Home Rule
    9:30 AM Hearing Feb. 19, 2014

Aloha Council members:

I speak as a farmer of 34 years in Kurtistown, where our Malu -Aina farm
    has grown a wide variety of organic fruits and vegetables. Our organization,
    Malu ‘Aina, is in strong support of Home Rule
    Resolution 272. We need to stand up to the agro-chemical corporate
    profiteers and to those in County and State government who are in the
    pockets of these GMO criminal enterprises that want to cut away our
    county voice to protect our own health and safety. I suppose I should
    not be surprised at how low some people will go to line their own
    pockets at the expense of future generations. The world is in terrible
    shape with unprecedented toxic pollution, climate change, etc. because
    profit and greed have dominated decision making. The precautionary principle
    has not been followed. The precautionary principle states that when you do not
    know the full consequences of an action, error on the side of caution.

Madamn chairperson, for the GMO supporters and promoters I have a proposal:
    Put your mouth where your money is. Step forward. Demonstrate your
    corporate loyalty with patriotic vigor. Volunteer yourself and your
    family members to Monsanto to be genetically engineered. Why just
    support GMO Monsanto round up ready crops, GMO ringspot resistant
    papaya, etc.

) Volunteer to have these and other
    genetically modified organisms –round up resistant genes fired directly
    into your own DNA.
    And put a new label on yourself. Instead of “Fresh” Onishi, change your
    name to “Round up Ready” Onishi and go down to the county yard at least
    once a week and get sprayed with round up so we the citizens can do a
    health study of you, not us. But if you really want to show your
    commitment as a Genetically Modified Organism, take the experiment to
    the next level. Brush your teeth with Round Up, wash you clothes with
    it. Shower in it, put it on your breakfast cereal and rice. Show the
    voters what you are really made of. For the first pro-GMO politician to
    step forward to become round up ready genetically engineered, I will
    present you with an “M&M –Monsanto & me” T-shirt with your photo
    proudly displayed.”
    (Cut off)

Madamn Chair, I would like to nominate Dennis “Round Up Ready” Onishi as
    the honorary chair of the GMO promoters and present him with this shirt of
    Monsanto & Me to wear proudly. But I do want to say that I believe in redemption,
    even for Mr. Onishi. I believe that people can repent and change their ways, hard
    as it may be. But GMO’s once released can’t be recalled, even when there is
    personal repentance. This is all the more reason for following the precautionary
    principle. Support Home Rule. Ban GMOs. Mahalo.

Jim Albertini

8. tia
    tia says:

We are ALL ignorant and have been duped for over a century:

Title 28, Section 3002 in the UNITED STATES CODE, the definition of
    (15) “United States” means— (A) a Federal corporation;

Volume 20: Corpus Juris Sec. § 1785, Also: NY re: Merriam 36 N.E. 505 1441 S. 0.1973, 14 L. Ed. 287 “The United States government is a foreign corporation with respect to a State”

9. Cheryl King
    Cheryl King says:

To those who don’t know, Aaron Stene is well known, at least on the West side of the island, as the “go-to” guy if we have questions related to road construction progress or the lack of it. He has made a point of being informed on these issues and to do that must necessarily seek answers to questions. I am glad someone is.
    Thanks, Aaron.

10. Hugh Clark
    Hugh Clark says:

Thanks for your input Cheryl.

While Aaron and I have not always agreed on the politics of Hawaii, I have come to regard him as a well-informed citizen advocate for transportation concerns. He is on top of state development or lack of it, seeks out explanations from the moribound bureaucracy.

He serves as a top-drawer community alarm on the status of the state projects we support y races and long term bonds.

For Johnny-Come-Latelies, Aaron has been a valuable contributor to Tiffany’s blog almost since its beginning.Questions about who he is seem simply dumb

He has genuine credibility.

11. Aaron Stene
    Aaron Stene says:

Cheryl and Hugh,

Thank you for the kind words regarding my efforts. We have to use roads to get around this island, so having good roads is very important. I’ve spent a lot of my free time following and keeping track of various major roadway projects on this island as a result.

12. Brian F. Jordan
    Brian F. Jordan says:

I hope that Ms. Dalton reads the US Constitution. The reason we have incompetent leaders is political figures don’t always tell the truth and we don’t do enough investigating before we vote. The fact of the matter is all Public Servants must take any criticism. If the criticism are lies your reputation will be temporarily marred. This I can personally attest to. In this case there is no case of a lie the public employee was abusive.. The Governor should remove her. His administration has removed more people than any I can remember than the last 5 Governors. If he does not there is more to the story or he likes employees who will take the hit in his place. The way Ollie North took a hit for Admiral Poindexter. A man who before was the Presidents hero. The way Petraeus took a hit for Hillary. A man who months before was the Presidents hero.
    Politics has scapegoats the way a dog has fleas.
    Tiffany you have integrity don’t expect a straight answer.
    Hugh you are correct about Aaron he thinks before he writes and does his homework. Scary we agree on an issue. If you hear it in stereo it must be true.