Puna News — Albizia-Control Training Workshops In April And May

community training workshops on albizia control on the second Saturday of April and May, in Black Sands, Puna.

When:        Saturday, April 12th &May 10th, 8:30am-12:00pm

Where:       Meet at the Corner of Ocean View Parkway and Aloha Road, in Black Sands (map).

Directions from Highway 130: Turn right onto One Ele`ele Road. Take the first left onto Ocean View Parkway. Park on the side of the road near the BIISC tent at the corner of Ocean View Parkway and Aloha Rd (12 minutes from Pahoa Town).

What:        Participants will learn how to estimate tree height and the “Incision Point Application” control method, developed by the University of Hawaii and the U.S. Forest Service. Through hands-on training, volunteers will apply their skills to trees endangering the Keauohana Forest, roads, homes and power lines in Black Sands Subdivision.

Who:          Anyone interested in learning about Albizia control. Volunteers under 18 years old must have parental consent.

Sign-up:     Space is limited, please sign-up by emailingbiisc@hawaii.eduyour name and phone number byWednesday, April 9th(for April workshop) and Wednesday, May 7th (for May).

What you should bring:

Volunteers are asked to wear sturdy shoes, pants, a long-sleeved shirt, hat, bug repellent, and sunscreen. Gloves, hatchets, herbicide, safety gear, hand-washing stations, and refreshments will be provided.

Why in Black Sands?

BIISC identified the Black Sands area of Puna as a case study to showcase the wide range of issues in albizia control, develop best management practices, and empower communities to limit the spread of these menacing trees in their own neighborhoods. The 500-acre “Albizia Demonstration Project” area in Puna includes trees overhanging homes and roads, as well as in native lowland Keauohana forest.

Why use herbicide?

The “Incision Point Application” control method has proven most effective and efficient at killing non-hazard albizia trees in natural areas (at least 100 ft. away from homes or roads). This method involves making one angled cut every 6-10’’ around the tree trunk, then carefully applying 0.5-1mL (10-20 drops) of Milestone Specialty Herbicide into each cut. The herbicide is then taken into the tree’s circulatory system, killing the tree. The tree will drop its leaves within two weeks and crumble over the next two years. This method does not disturb the surrounding foliage, allowing a natural shield from more albizia seeds taking root. More information about Milestone and how to ensure environmental and human safety will be available at the training workshops.

What is BIISC?

The Big Island Invasive Species Committee (BIISC) is a voluntary partnership of private citizens, community organizations, businesses, and government agencies working to address invasive species issues on the island of Hawaii. The mission of BIISC is to prevent, detect, and control the spread of the highest risk invasive species threats to the Big Island environment, economy, and way of life. BIISC’s guiding principle is to serve the land and people of Hawaii. BIISC is a project of the Pacific Cooperative Studies Unit of the University of Hawaii.  Projects are funded by a combination of public and private service contracts and competitive grants.

1. NeighborWatch
    NeighborWatch says:

” Participants will learn how to estimate tree height and the “Incision Point Application” control method, developed by the University of Hawaii and the U.S. Forest Service. Through hands-on training, volunteers will apply their skills to trees endangering the Keauohana Forest, roads, homes and power lines in Black Sands Subdivision.”

LOL yea well I’ll give you the same instruction in HPP.
    Come cut our albizias. Pretty funny, volunteer to cut Black Sand’s albizia’s when you can DIY in the subdivision where you live.

2. Greg
    Greg says:

The “Incision Point Application” method is much different than just “Cutting”; Not as intrusive, Far more effective, and less dangerous. Some trees near structures and roads must be cut, but those further away can be easily dealt with by someone with only a machete and backpack; No chainsaw needed……..

Maybe when Neighborwatch isn’t so busy LOLing, he/she can give us a tutorial.

3. NeighborWatch
    NeighborWatch says:

ok Greg here you go…
    I don’t know what your “Incision Point Application” is but I don’t just cut them where no houses are around.
    With my bad back, trick knees, fractured sternum and healing broken wrist I have dealt with albizias for 15 years. In various ways. (None of those injuries were due to tree cutting.)
    The trees not threatening structures or power lines yes I drop easy in the forest. I used to fall redwoods, and plant kekis in Oregon. I have experience.
    300 little 12″ trees up a rocky cliff. I can do trees.

IF they are near structures I/we tie them off, direct their fall. 100′ ers. IF they are too big, too near someone’s property to fall, I girdle them and cut valleys to direct water into their heart through a incision from the side, let the rain/weather do the work. I’ve done my neighbor’s trees for years because they don’t. IF I don’t deal with theirs, thousands of sprouts get seeded each spring when they float down from the 100′ canopy.
    IF they are small I chop em and drop with a machete, but that is a yearling only. IF there’s a hundred trees I’m not physically able to whack at them all day long.
    My limit is a couple hours, I ain’t 30 anymore. Maybe in my mind but my body says sit down.
    Girdling is dangerous on occupied land because those widow makers can drop at any time. I have seen T&T Bulldozing go after some on my street with 3-4 or four guys and a D-9 and watched them almost kill themselves not knowing what they were doing.
    Two days in a row they fell trees the wrong way across the road taking out power and phone lines. I tried to tell them the first day, try wait, that tree isn’t going to go the way you’re pushing it with that D-9, doesn’t matter what you do down here, the weight up there is going to go where gravity takes it, right over the top of your CAT. They didn’t listen, one branch snapped up there and dropped a few inches from me. A branch a foot thick, a log, from 100′ IS a widow maker. I’m lucky to be here. That tree fell across the road. Took out power and phone for a half a block. I had to go use a friend’s phone fed from the opposite direction to call 911. “Fire, Police or Ambulance?” YES all those and HELCO and Hawaiiantel too.
    If you can send the newspaper have them come as well.
    Few hours later all was reconnected, lucky no one was hurt. Next day, they do it again. Pulling with a chain.
    The chain snaps, they bolt it back together and continue. Serious? yep crash again power/phone out.
    Cops come again. Hello? you check see if they are even licensed to drive that D-9? no. Unregulated activity.
    Third day, let’s do it again. This time they see me with my camera and one joker comes after me but changes his mind when he sees it’s a video rolling. This one wasn’t going to go on Youtube, I was going to load it straight to Jackass.com. They split, moved the D-9 out in the middle of the night.

6 months later I was in court for some ? reason civil? trying to collect on some unscrupulous company and there was one guy in there tellin the judge about this company that left one D-9 on his house pad for 4 months, where it broke down and was trying to get cost of removal. As he left I asked was the T&T, yep.
    James Weatherford was in there that day as well, over some renter problems he was having. So there are amateurs out there risking people’s lives and property.
    5150 A danger to themselves and others. Got it all on video.
    I have a neighbor half my age I’m mentoring because he has some on his land. He is learning about the upper weight of the trees. And how to direct a fall without endangering himself, me or others. Once the mothers are down goats keep them down and eat any sprouts.
    Girdle em and carve a tiki god in the side, kinda like ice sculpture with a little chainsaw. It works well.
    Want more pictures? I document my work.
    When you have a lot full of them they all have to come down. Dangerous? Tree cutting is dangerous.
    Anyone can girdle an albizia with a machete.
    My goats can do that.
    LOL happy?

4. greg
    greg says:

That’s an awesome tutorial there, peter. The problem is that most people don’t have your years of timber experience or manly strength.

The “Incision Point Application” method used by the State Department of Agriculture is not dangerous, and can be performed by 95 pound ballerinas.

The method involves cutting a small notch in the tree, and injecting a minute amount of poison into it with an eyedropper, and dancing away. The tree dies and slowly comes down from the outside small branches inward. This only presents a problem when near structures, roads, wires or people.(Those trees should be cut by confident and manly lumberjacks such as yourself).

There will be some people against using poison, no matter how small the dosage, and safe application methods need to be taught. This is where the State’s training is relevant.

The question is which is the greater danger; invasive giants, or small doses of herbicide? I personally avoid eating Albezia and don’t worry too much about the poison.

Thanks for your Mana’o and feel free to counterpoint.

5. NeighborWatch
    NeighborWatch says:

That’s sounds like what I do but with poison. I wouldn’t use poison on my aina. So I probably wouldn’t advise others to use it. My soil is hundreds of years organic, virgin, like most of Hawaii nei.
    “Manly strength” isn’t needed, a 95lb ballerina can hold a 10 lb chain saw. Leverage, fulcrum, weight, wind are more important than, “manly strength”.

Don’t under estimate the strength of a ballerina.
    Ballet is the most strength building sport/art I know of. It’s harder to hold an arabesque for 3 minutes that it is to bench 250 lbs. for 3 seconds.

What poison are you adding to the aina?
    Recycled motor oil would probably do as well and isn’t a herbicide. Plenty of it for free and no need worry about the dose. Not as toxic I’d bet.
    Must be some serious toxic shit if you’re only using an eyedropper of it. Monsanto? Ortho? Round Up?

6. Greg
    Greg says:

The herbicide used is indeed serious stuff; that’s why it can be used specifically targeting individual trees. I would urge those interested in eradicating Albezia to attend the workshop and get a complete understanding of the situation and the available remedies.

Of course, the workshops, conducted with Agricultural experts educated in the most up to date materials and methods will be relevant only to us who don’t already know EVERYTHING.

Motor oil, indeed! LOL

7. Edy Hall
    Edy Hall says:

The herbicide they are gonna use is called “Milestone”. It has been banned in the UK because it creates toxic compost and soils remain toxic for over 4 years. Not really sure this is the best option for Black Sands or anywhere on planet earth. The link below is an article from 2009. This Milestone is gonna be that figurative action or event marking a significant change or stage in development. A change for the worse. Machete cuts and a salt pack should work better. Especially with careful identification and followup. http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/milestone-herbicide-contamination-creates-dangerous-toxic-compost.aspx#axzz2yfrIuIsr

8. NeighborWatch
    NeighborWatch says:

Thanks Errol picture to my words EXACTLY!

Yea Greg, I know enough that motor oil isn’t as toxic as the Milestone crap you suggest introducing into the environment. VINEGAR works killing weeds and isn’t toxic as Aminopyralid, the active ingredient in Milestone. Made by DOW.

The problem is that aminopyralid survives the digestive systems of animals pastured on land sprayed with it, as well as compost piles made from their manure. Most other herbicides break down eventually, but this stuff sticks around. An organic farmer using compost contaminated by aminopyralid could lose crops and organic certification for years. So that’s a gift that keeps on giving eh?

So we can trust the gov. right? They know best. Just like the gov. state/county/fed group who were gonna eradicate the little frogs. LOL

And Edy that link seems to be not working and Mother Jones website isn’t loading either, DOW? But there is plenty of info on the web about this crap they want to poison the aina with.

Because you knew it all? But forgot to mention it?