Puna News — SPACE Farmers Market To Move To Uncle Robert’s Awa Club

(media release) — Due to a variety of financial, physical, administrative, and bureaucratic reasons, SPACE Farmers’ Market will be relocating to a new venue starting July 5th: Uncle Robert’s Awa Club in Kalapana. The relocated market will be dubbed the “Outer SPACE Ho’olaule’a.” The new hours will be 7 am – 12 noon on Saturdays.
!The current SPACE Market will remain “as is” at SPACE for the month of June. There will not be any missed Saturdays between the move. The relocated market will continue on July 5th at Uncle’s.
The Seaview Performing Arts Center for Education (S.P.A.C.E.) is focused on creatively promoting sustainable local community. SPACE is located next to Bellyacres, an artistic eco village, adjacent to Kalapana Seaview Estates in Puna Makai on the Big Island of Hawaii, USA. This colorful community arts center is the home of the renowned HICCUP Circus, and is managed by Hawaii’s Volcano Circus, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
For more information about SPACE, please visit hawaiispace.com.
(Submitted by Dena Smith.)

Aloha Puna Makai,

A variety of financial, physical, administrative, and bureaucratic “reasons”?

Is it just me, or does the word “reasons” sound like a substitute for the word “problems”?

With that said,…..will the financial, physical, administrative and bureaucratic “reasons/problems” now be dumped on Uncle Roberts?

Is it the SPACE market or S.P.A.C.E. that has these “reasons/problems”?

Could you please clarify this for me, Dena Smith?……thank you.

2. hazen
    hazen says:

Thank-you County of Hawaii for continually making it harder for citizens to provide schools, arts, culture, farmer’s markets, and other free services to our communities. It’s nice to know that when, in a poor, underserved county such as ours, a bunch of selfless individuals form a non-profit, set up a school, create a community center, offer free activities to our keiki, create a LOCAL FOOD ONLY farmers market to serve our poor, elderly, and regular citizens, to provide income to our neighbors who sell things there ; that we can rely on you, our elected government, to shut it down, tax it of all it’s operating budgets, and bury it’s volunteers under enough bureaucracy to eventually wear them out. Bravo! Another dangerous farmer’s market snuffed out, maybe they can use eminent domain to seize SPACE and put in a 7-11 and Arby’s.

3. NeighborWatch
    NeighborWatch says:

ecco Hazen, and Handyman, why? so you can crap on it some more?
    It’s a shame, it was a great space.
    Typical Puna District shit.

Aloha NeighborWatch,

My concern is that, if it’s Space market that has these reasons/problems, then I’m weary as to it going over to Uncle Roberts where it may infest the blessings that Uncle Roberts are having.

The Keliihomalu family are a very giving and forgiving family. They’re very trusting. I,….out of concern for them,…..am not.

I am weary of the wolf in sheep clothing coming in for the slaughter. I will not stand idle and let this happen,….so I question the motive for the move of the SPACE market.

Do not mistaken our word “ALOHA” for the English word “FOOL”. You would be one if you did.

5. Mathew Mercury
    Mathew Mercury says:

Seems like most of the problems SPACE was having were due to a handful of Seaview neighbors that didn’t like the noise and traffic. Hopefully Uncle Robert’s will have none of those issues. I hope the new Outer SPACE market is a great success!

6. NeighborWatch
    NeighborWatch says:

I don’t think Uncle Robert is a fool. No worries.
    I’m sure they know what they are getting. into. And
    I’m sure one reason they are moving there is because they don’t have any bitchy neighbors complaining about noise and parking. Pretty obvious.
    Aloha I could not possibly interpret as fool, you have strange assumptions.

7. Rich Gomez
    Rich Gomez says:

Moving that market is just one step in the right direction… (away). SPACE is the brain child of some very self-serving individuals, particularly a mental (and physical) dwarf from down under.

How a government funded program can produce events in opposition to drug use and subsequently display blatant drug abuse before the very children involved in that same program is an act of hypocrisy.

Don’t worry, they won’t last too long at Uncle Robert’s either.

8. NeighborWatch
    NeighborWatch says:

Puna is full of people minding other people’s business because they have nothing happening in their own lives.

Aloha Puna Makai,

If the SPACE market move is without ulterior motives, then I too hope for its success. It is an outstanding food venue to have in our neighborhood. Fresh organic foods and drinks, and the handmade crafts that these vendors offer at the market is a unique opportunity for Kamaaina and Malahini alike to experience and to take advantage of.

The artistic creativity that these vendors have in their craftsmanship is a pride that Puna is proud to boast. It is a comfort knowing that Puna is a common playground for Artisans and a pleasure having them as members of our community.

Every Farmer/Gardener have their own special techniques in growing their produce in just the right conditions for optimum results. And it’s easy to see these results by simply visiting any farmers market in Puna. SPACE market is no exception. The abundance in varieties of produce is an eye opener for groggy morning eyes. And the aroma of all the baked goods, temps the most diciplined dieter.

Yes, I too hope for success with Space markets move.

Alooooooooha, ????????????

10. punated
    punated says:

Wonder if this is due to Graham Ellis bragging about everything being illegal and free at SPACE on Youtube? Not real smart to be all smug and bragging about how all the structures at S.P.A.C.E. are non permitted, then Ruderman being on the front page of the Tribune with a special interests charge, claiming Ellis is his only constituent. Puna politics can get bizarre but this was one of the more bizarre attempts at legislation to declare the illegal as legal. A Saturday farmer’s market at Uncle Roberts is a good outcome of this, though.

11. Mathew Mercury
    Mathew Mercury says:

Wow… who is the “Rich Gomez” and why does he feel the need to write such nasty things?

12. greg owen
    greg owen says:

People and organizations are usually a mixed bag. Graham and his buddies have done a lot of good things for the community….and simultaneously they have ticked off a lot of their neighbors.In fact they were called to task by the Windward Planning Commission ,for various reasons and from what I can tell,they were LEGITIMATE. This is not necessary a bunch of bitchy neighbors but rather real life,genuine concerns.As far as this magical concept sustainability, can you really justify the large fossil fuel footprint that all that driving to the top of Sea view entails? I have mentioned before that a well placed version of SM , near main roads, on say at least two acres [so as to lessen impact on the neighbors} is more common sense. And maybe by being at Uncle Lopaki’s,there will be a wonderful synergy created.

13. Rich Gomez
    Rich Gomez says:

Regarding Mercury’s last statement… shouldn’t there be at least 3 “s”‘s in the word “nassssty” for someone such as yourself? 🙂

14. Russell Ruderman
    Russell Ruderman says:

Punated, will you ever say anything accurate about me? I’ve given up waiting, but this is a new low in both inaccuracy and absurdity. You quote me as saying Graham ‘is my only constituent.’ Seriously?!? Where did you get that from?

As for the bill being a “bizarre attempt at legislation to declare the illegal as legal,” you might want to recognize the fact that all legislation is, by definition, aimed at changing the law.

And you fail to mention the little fact that the complaint was immediately dismissed as without merit, yet you publicize the frivolous complaint as if real. Apparently you have nothing factual to offer the discussion.

15. punated
    punated says:

Senator Ruderman, you are on record saying “I don’t see anything wrong with doing something for a constituent.” A politician submitting a state bill for the benefit of one constituent is clearly special interest, at the best.

The big problem is with the now established history of taking buzzwords and making supposed “beneficial” legislation efforts from them. Trying to manipulate the term “sustainability” to your own ends is really offensive, and damaging to Hawaii.

Hawaii is the most vulnerable state in the nation. The existing state is the *least* sustainable as far as Hawaii dependencies go. Stop using the term “sustainability” and start using the term “dependency”. That is the reality of the now, and nobody should want to sustain dependency. And the 900 pound gorilla in the room is oil, oil for jet fuel, cars and trucks, farm equipment, and electricity.

Squatting on vacant lots, and stealing fruits and vegetables from abandoned farms, using another abused term “foraging”, is not “sustainable”. It might be just fine for a circus troupe of clowns but don’t impose that on the whole island.

I am so thankful for Rudermans’ representation of our community.
    For someone working ‘within the (unsustainable) system’ Russell is doing a great job.
    He represents me and many others as best he can in an (unsustainable) american bureaucracy.
    I am thankful also for Graham Ellis and the many others who hold a vision for a world that just might work.

17. punated
    punated says:

A Saturday morning Farmer’s Market at Uncle Roberts that is mostly for local produce and local farmers is a good unplanned outcome from all this. It’s like things moving to where they are more representative of the local community, rather than the lunatic fringe.

And on a technical point;
    Hawaii is not a state of america.
    Hawaii is a nation.
    To claim otherwise is to participate in the stealing of these islands.
    To the people who forage abandoned orchards; you are more respectful than those who promote the prolonged american occupation of Hawaii.
    You are feeding your families with existing abundance.
    You are not stealing another nations land.
    America continues trying to make legal what is illegal.
    Time to end the prolonged occupation.

19. tia
    tia says:

Remember: legal (corporate fiction) and lawful (remedy for live people) are NOT the same. Learn the difference and assert your lawful inherent rights!

Aloha tia person, while I was referencing a previous post, your language update is great. Language does matter.

21. I AM
    I AM says:

Good idea to relax the building code here. Good idea to have a Saturday farmers market at Uncle Roberts. Good to have Russell represent us. Good to have Island Naturals in Pahoa. Love our Hawaiian Spirit of Aloha. I know that all land was not stolen, since we bought our land directly from Uncle Robert. It would be good to have an island nation, yet now Hawaii rules the whole USA since our president is an island boy. Its all good.
    Great to live here. Feeling so grateful.

22. Billy
    Billy says:

Just because a person is a “good guy” and does wonderful things for some does not make them above the law (Poached trees, rental structures on state land etc) and whining that it’s just a minority that were inconvenienced by activities at space does not obviate the fact that one of the primary reasons for lawful living is to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority.

Aloha Billy,

I was not aware of the under takings of illegal activity that has been going on with people involved with “S.P.A.C.E., Space Market and BellyAcres, until I read the article in the Tribune.

Cutting down those Ohia trees from State land? Then building illegal structures with them and renting them out for money? This is certainly “not” a community minded venture.

Exactly what values are they teaching the children that are schooled there?

This has my suspicion on alert again.

24. Kristen
    Kristen says:

Aloha. As someone who has seen the inner workings of Bellyacres, SPACE, and Graham Ellis up close and personal, I can assure you that all of these people/groups have very good intentions and genuinely care about the community.

As far as your question, Handyman, the problems are connected really with the site, not the market per se. Greg Owen, as for what you said, I just want to clarify that it’s not that a LOT of neighbors have been ticked off ~ it’s a small minority of people who were actually ticked off. Yes, definitely there were legitimate concerns from some of the neighbors ~ esp noise and traffic; and SPACE, especially with Jenna Way as the director (who has now moved on), DID care about these legitimate concerns. And almost all these neighbors love what SPACE does and wanted to see SPACE continue, with SPACE addressing these concerns. And I attended several Bellyacres and SPACE meetings where people were discussing these concerns with care, and how they could address them, and then changed a bunch of things accordingly. Also, many or maybe even most neighbors did not have any complaints. However, there were a few neighbors who were not coming from a reasonable place, and it’s been really dramatic, intense, and hard-core from those few people.

It’s a complex situation. There is definitely something on the Bellyacres/SPACE end that I would love to see shift, b/c I think it would prevent this intense of a reaction from those few neighbors, or the county, or whoever. I’ve reflected this before at times, and will continue to send prayers and blessings upon the situation. Still, please know that while people do have their shortcomings, truly everyone at SPACE and Bellyacres has good, loving intentions.

By the way, the article that came out Friday is quite skewed, and a few things are not even true at all. That saddens me. 🙁

I would love to see us come together in truth and love and breath and good thoughts, and see this situation turning out beautifully. I’ve seen sooo many people positively affected, A LOT, by SPACE and Bellyacres, including kids who I was worried about going down the wrong path, who got back on the right path through their involvement in the circus. As a teacher, that means a lot to me. Let’s hold the vision for good things to come from this for the community and all.

25. Kristen
    Kristen says:

Hey Handyman and Billy, I hope you’ll read my comment above. I understand, Handyman, given the info in the article, why your suspicion has been piqued again. I can attest to the fact that these are very communal-minded people, and actually nobody’s making money off of this stuff. Of course the vendors at the SPACE farmers’ market were making money, which is great, but SPACE itself was losing money on the market, since they were paying a market manager, 2 people to do EBT payments, etc. A lot of SPACE/Bellyacres stuff is a labor of love.

Also, Handyman, I am a teacher at the school there, and I have been there for several years, and I would be happy to have a phone conversation with you or something and tell you what the children learn there. And just so you know, the school is actually a completely separate entity from Bellyacres or SPACE, and we rent the classroom from SPACE. The children come from all over Puna.

Okay, I will elaborate on the article a bit…

As for the trees, I LOVE trees and am very against development that disrespects the land. 15 to 20 to 25 years ago there were a very small number of ohias taken down, harvested in a gentle way from a few spots. Little cabins (the structures talked about) were built in those spots, many years ago, when this area was more like the wild west. Looking at how and where the ohias were taken ~ if you could see it in person it would appear very different from how it was portrayed in the article ~ it seems okay to me (very minimal impact). And I am incredibly passionate about development not hurting the land. I don’t think there’s any way they could have been hundreds of years old, btw. Also, the Ohias used to build SPACE are not from state land. I am not promoting the use of state land (though it does actually seem to happen quite a bit), but the situation looks much different in real life from the article.

It gives me a heavy heart that false information, including the tree stuff and info about the rent and other things, is being put out there.

26. spoon
    spoon says:

If you can’t be happy and get along then leave puna and leave space. We want positive earth loving people that know how to live and let live.
    Spread your blessings and aloha and quit arguing with your brothers and sisters. We all have belly buttons therefore we are all humans. I’m at uncle Roberts now enjoying my weekly space farmers market. So get off your computers and come visit or just shut up because you have no idea whats really going on. Live a little. Aloha!!