Letter–Saddle Road Extension the “Best Choice”

The South Kohala Traffic Safety Committee recently submitted a letter criticizing the HDOT for deleting the proposed Waimea Bypass from the FY2015-2018 +2 STIP in lieu of the Daniel K. Inouye (formerly Saddle Road) extension. I agree Kawaihae Road is in dire need of safety improvements. There is no way this can be disputed. However, I don’t think it is fiscally prudent to construct a 5 mile bypass road that would benefit only a small subset of the population. The Daniel K. Inouye Highway extension , on the other hand, will reduce the amount of traffic on both Waikoloa Road and Kawaihae Road. Both of these substandard roadways are currently handling inbound and outbound military and commercial traffic heading back and forth from Kawaihae. It would make sense to construct a new highway between Queen Kaahumanu and Daniel K. Inouye Highway to relieve the burden on Kawaihae and Waikoloa Roads. The United States Highway Trust Fund is practically insolvent, so I strongly believe we need to construct highway projects that will benefit the most people. I believe the Daniel K. Inouye Highway extension is the best choice in these fiscally constrained times.

Aaron Stene

1. Errol
    Errol says:

At a time when much help is need in the Puna area, people are with out electricity, water and trapped in their own homes…you think of your own conviency of the Saddle Road. You are a F’cking Idiot… Hitler had no compassion too!

2. Hawaiino
    Hawaiino says:

Jeez, talk about self absorbed….theres a lot going on in the world outside of Puna, and there’s a lot of people in Puna still paying attention to things other than their own kuleana. This is the “Big Island Chronicle”, not the “Nanawale Gazette” or the “Kapoho Sentinel”. And exhuming Hitler, give us all a break. That is a reference to a sociopath who manipulated the murders of millions of people and should not be tossed about lightly.

You owe AS (from Kona) an apology.

3. Aaron Stene
    Aaron Stene says:

Your name calling weakens your opinion, especially comparing me to Hitler. If you don’t like my commentaries, no is forcing you to read them.

4. Errol
    Errol says:

@Hawaiino…If you look up “Infamous Quotes”, you will know what I mean by “no compassion”. I’m not comparing him to Hitler but their “no compassion quotes.” AS said it himself in another post, he has no compassion for those 3 people that refused to give up their land for the new highway. I owe AS nothing. I’m sure its mutual between us…

5. Aaron Stene
    Aaron Stene says:

Yes, I have no compassion towards those three landowners, whose right of way is needded for the SR200(3) phase. However, this commentary isn’t talking about that. Its talking about the reasons to constructing one new mauka maki highway over the other. The State, and ultimately the Federal Government, cannot afford to construct two 80 million dollar + highways that will accomplish the same goals.

6. Aaron Stene
    Aaron Stene says:

This commentary has no bearing on the previous letter regarding the final east side phase. I thought I made that perfectly clear, but I guess your reading comprehension isn’t very good.

It also begs a question, do you have a connection with these three landowners somehow?

7. Errol
    Errol says:

Do you always repeat yourself. Are you always uncertain of yourself? I bet they really love you up there. Do I need to know someone to have compassion? Go figure….

8. Hawaiino
    Hawaiino says:

I don’t know what the history is between you and AS, I read your last sentence,
    ” You are a F’cking Idiot… Hitler had no compassion too!”
    It is a compound sentence with two separate statements that are wedded by the very last word, “too”.
    You can’t then separate them, or suggest that either part is referring to anything else. You catagorized AS as a “F’cking Idiot”, you describe Hitler as lacking in compassion, then you use “too” to tie the two statements together.
    I’m not missing anything here, you wheeled out the “Hitler card”in a fit of pique and in so doing made yourself the irrational one. You can’t equate one of the worst humans of the last 100 years with a guy commenting on traffic on the Big Island. False equivalency.

Get a grip, and don’t try to explain or equivocate. You f’d up and you should apologize.

9. Errol
    Errol says:

@Hawiino… Thats right Hawaiino, you don’t know the history between AS and I. You already made the assumption of me being self absorbed. But what do you know of what I search and I do have concerns around the world…Major Drought in California, Ebola, ISIS, shooting of an unarmed black kid…etc. But I do have a major concerns of the people of Puna as they are in need of help….but I wonder about you because of your statement. I went out there with a chainsaw and cut trees to help. What did you do? Just sit on your dumb AS_??? I’d like to see you go out in Puna and tell the people there are other concerns around the world beside themselves. So what, I’m not good in grammar. But if its difficult for you to understand someone as simple as me, then maybe you are missing something between your ears. I have no problem of AS commenting on traffic, but I do equate him with a man “Without Compassion”. You get a grip of yourself….I will not apologize to a person that has no compassion for another human being! Hawaiino, you are just boring me. Let AS speak for himself. Let me hear both of you help or donate something to help the people of Puna in times of need. “Much help is needed in the Puna Area.” That was my first entry….

10. home improvement
    home improvement says:

I think that everything published was actually very logical.
    But, what about this? suppose you added a little information? I ain’t saying your
    content is not solid, but suppose you added a post title that makes
    people desire more? I mean Big Island Chronicle ? Blog Archive ? Letter-Saddle Road Extension the ?Best Choice? is a little plain. You
    could peek at Yahoo’s front page and see how they write news headlines to grab people to open the links.
    You might add a related video or a related pic or two to get readers interested about what you’ve got to say.
    Just my opinion, it could make your posts a little livelier.