From UH Hilo:
Ten incoming University of Hawai`i at Hilo freshmen from Hawai`i Island have been named as the 2015 recipients of the Dorrance Scholarship.
The 2015 Dorrance Scholarship recipients are:
* Brandon Aguiar, Waiakea High School (Hilo)
* Sharlene Bala, Honoka’a High and Intermediate School (Honoka`a)
* Maggie Chen, Kealakehe High School (Kailua-Kona)
* Everette Ganir, Kea`au High School (Kea’au)
* Marc Daniel Grande, Kealakehe High School (Kailua-Kona)
* Courtney Ip, Waiakea High School (Hilo)
* Maya Kottwitz, Hawai`i Academy of Arts and Science (Pahoa)
* Marina Merkulova, Laupaoehoe Community Public Charter School
* Shaniah Yogi, Kamehameha High Schools Hawai`i (Kea`au)
* Adrianna Zablan, Kanu O Ka Aina New Century Public Charter
The Dorrance Scholarship is an innovative, four-year award designed to benefit local students who are the first in their family to attend college. Each year, up to 10 eligible students are awarded need-based scholarships of $10,000 per year to attend UH Hilo.
In addition to the direct financial assistance, the students will take part in a custom-designed summer bridge program to help them transition from high school to college. In subsequent years, they
will take part in international travel, conservation experiences, an entrepreneurship program, and employment preparation , bringing the total estimated value of each award for the entire four-year
period to more than $90,000.
UH Hilo’s program is an extension of the highly successful Dorrance Scholarship Programs that have operated in Arizona for the past 15 years. The program is credited with opening the doors of higher education while boosting graduation rates for 390 first-generation college students since its inception.
“Providing more scholarships is key to expanding educational opportunities so that more students can attend college,” said Chancellor Don Straney. “The Dorrance Scholarship goes a step further by addressing this important niche area.”
For more information about how to apply for the Dorrance Scholarship, contact Mathew Estrada, Hilo Scholarship Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (808) 339-4500.