By Sally June Taylor
Raw avocado pie is my favorie raw desert by far. Living in Hawaii we can easily get many of the ingredients. Working with raw nuts, dates, a coconut, avocados, lime and some other ingredients you can make an amazing key lime like pie. The final result is green, tangy, sweet, and delicious. I hope you like it too.
¾ cup macnuts
? cup walnuts
½ cup desiccated coconut *
? cup medjool dates, soaked *
¼ cup agave syrup
¾ Tbsp virgin olive oil
4 medium sized avocados
1 cup fresh coconut meat
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup lime juice
? cup coconut oil, cold pressed
½ cup honey or agave
zest of one lemon or lime
* I have used coconut date rolls instead of coconut and dates separately
1. For the crust, put the macnuts walnuts, coconut, dates, agave and coconut oil into a food processor and pulse together on a medium speed until a sticky dough consistency has formed.
2. Remove from the food processor and evenly press the dough into a pie dish and set aside.
3. For the filling, remove the skin and pits from avocado and add the meat to the food processor.
4. Add all remaining ingredients into the food processor and pulse until smooth then spoon into the pie dish and place in the refrigerator to chill.
5. To serve top with a few slices of lemon or lime.
Sally June Taylor is a mother of two who works as a chef in Puna. Look for her “SJ’s” logo on food she is making for island stores.